Vocal interpretation and Diction for Opera Singers
Lessons will be held in Italian or English
and it is open to students of all levels of Italian and English
freom beginners to Opera Singing graduate students
This coaching provides classical singers of all levels
(voice undergraduate, graduated, MA and Phd)
This coaching offers the opportunity to work online on vocal technique, style and diction for singers. Skills acquired in official institutions (Music Departments, Conservatories) are required.
Students should also prepare some arias or scenes assigned by professor Zanardi via email. In case a student wants to work on a specific role, it is requested to send the chosen score via email to the teacher.
Warning for beginners
It requires the ability to read music well, a healthy voice and the ability to intonate sounds perfectly.
In an online audition and interview professor Zanardi will decide the right repertoire to assign for each student. Students can also send some recordings, to speed up teacher’s choices.
This workshop includes online private lessons in vocal technique as well as diction for singers through the ariatexts. Lab will focus on musical interpretation and learning opera scenes.
- Study in deep and develop well-coordinated breath support.
- Singing with consistent, accurate intonation and bright sound
- Focusing on registers, vocal tone, vibrato, vocal health
- Voice homogeneity and balance
How to make your voice sound more powerful focusing on resonance and support
- work on dynamics, embellishments
- Vocal Use, Abuse, and Care
- Diction for singers Difference between classical diction and singing diction
- Terminology for opera singers
In deep, the study of singing will be conducted through
‒ Individual technical lessons and vocal interpretation:
‒ Deepening of the breathing study; sound support; breath control and dosage; breath control through phonation; humming; correction of muscular rigidity (mouth, jaw, tongue); emission of sounds from low range to high; study of the break-point (passaggio); vowels, diphthongs and articulation of the consonants; sound attack and release; control of dynamics; equality of the voice.
‒ Rhythmic study applied to the word; fast syllabication.
‒ Frequency of lessons: depending on individual needs and availability
REPERTORY AND INTERPRETATION
- Repertorio Italiano from different time and periods, focusing on differences of style, interpretation and difficulties
- Preparing Opera scenes, art songs, duets, trios (due to the online work, ensembles will be studied individually with teachers)
- Contemporary music, how to face the big challenge
– Deepening of the musical features and of the characters, placing particular emphasis on tradition, psychological analysis of the character, musical difficulties, interaction with co-protagonist characters roles, musical peculiarities given to the characters by the composer, linguistic characterization and type of language used by librettist for every character, historical context and setting.
– Diction for singers, gestures, elements of scenic interpretation, scenographic aspects, customs and conversation. – In particular, the diction and phonetics of the Italian language will be deepened through the librettos.
After having studied classical dance, violin and piano, the Italian soprano Patrizia Zanardigraduatedin opera singing with full marks and honors at the G. Verdi Conservatory in Turin. Subsequently she obtained two Masters Degrees in Singing (Verdian repertoire) and in Chamber Vocal Music at the Conservatory G. Nicolini Conservatory of Piacenza, both cum laude.
She performed in Italy, Europe, United States, Corea, Brasil, and Japan. She has performed leading roles with: Teatro Massimo Palermo, Teatro Verdi Trieste, Teatro Regio Parma, Teatro Romolo Valli Reggio Emilia, Teatro Municipale Piacenza, Teatro Donizetti Bergamo, Teatro Ponchielli Cremona, Teatro Grande Brescia, Teatro Sociale Como, Teatro Fraschini Pavia, Festival della Valle d’Itria Martina Franca, Teatro Greco Romano Taormina, Teatro Cervantes Málaga, New York City Opera, Minnesota Opera, Théatre La Monnaie Bruxelles, Auditorio Ibirapuera di São Paulo do Brasil, Concertgebouw Amsterdam, Seoul Arts Center Opera House, NHK Hall Tokyo, Among many others.
Along with the operatic repertoire, she has an intense symphonic concert activity, with numerous experiences in the Lieder and contemporary fields. She has collaborated several times with the RAI National Symphony Orchestra of Turin as the protagonist of world premieres.
As a XVIII century music lover, she uses to perform many works by Cimarosa, Pergolesi, Scarlatti, Nicolini, Haydn, Mozart, Caldara.
She has recorded several CDs, including, Cantate da camera by J.A. Hasse, Tonadillas by Granados, Juvenalia by J. Francaix; live The Triumph of Honesty by A. Scarlatti, L’Impresario In Angustie by Cimarosa, Saffo in Lefkada by Morlacchi, La Clemenza di Tito by Caldara, L’Amor Mugnaio by Nicolini.
Since 2018 she has been teaching Lyric Singing at the prestigious “Civica Scuola di Musica Claudio Abbado” in Milan (institution that issues equivalent titles to the conservatory).
She taught singing at the “Frescobaldi” Conservatory of Ferrara and at the “Sala” Conservatory of Benevento. In the United States, for the Summer Program 2017, 2018 and 2019 at Middlebury College (VT – USA), Italian Department, at Mills College (CA – USA), she did two-month masterclasses on technique, vocal interpretation, diction. and scenic art. She has been collaborating occasionally as an opera singing teacher since 2000 with the IES Abroad Milano Foundation.